Sunday 26 August 2012

First, some pictures to share, then a blog about our weekend!
 Turkish Airlines provides earplugs and a mask for sleeping!
 Babyn Yar monument--over 100,000 people were killed and put in a mass grave here during WWII...so sad and moving to actually be in a place where such atrocities occured.
 In a metro station
 Outside our apartment on the first day of school
 In the commons/lunchroom of Kiev Christian Academy
 A walk in the forest
Edward's family (read below about them)

8/26/12

We've enjoyed a long weekend because Friday was Ukrainian Independence Day and didn't really go anywhere on Friday or Saturday other than to the store, to school to work and to the nearby forest for a walk.

Today we went to our church, called ICA (International Christian Assembly). It reminds me a lot of our home church, and has a pastor from Green Bay,Wisconsin. It is such a blessing to have an English speaking church since we wouldn't get much out of a Russian speaking one at this stage of our language learning.

We met a family at church last week and went to their "flat" for lunch today. Actually it turned into dinner too because we were there for so long.

They droves us to their house in their new Opel with a fold-down seat in the hatch so it seats 7. They have 5 kids, so 4 of the kids had to take the metro/busses home so we could all ride in the car.

They live right on the edge of the northeast quarter of the city. The view from their 21st floor apartment was gorgeous--fields and a reservoir. Their building was much cleaner that ours is. Must be a higher rent district.

Their apartment was very nice and very European. Every bed becomes a couch during the day, everything makes use of limited space and their silverware had slots in the handles so it hung on a rack on the table. I want silverware like that!

Edward, the dad, doesn't speak English, so his college-aged son, Valentine translated for us. Poor "Valie" could hardly eat because he had to keep translating! We were served the yummiest borscht (beet soup) I've ever had, and then for dinner we had amazing chicken, tomato salad, mashed potatoes and the best chocolate I've ever eaten.

We learned a lot about Ukraine from Edward and got to hear about how great Ukraine is, especially the food. I guess I've loved everything I've had so far, so I can't argue there!

Josiah was called an "Indian" because of his messy eating habits (Apologies to my Native American friends--I don't think you're messy!). They also told us that Bulgaria has made a lot of movies about Native Americans and they always win the battles instead of the Americans winning!

After two meals and lots of conversation, we found our way home on the "Marshutka" (bus) without getting lost. Tomorrow, the first full week of school starts.

Please pray for me as I teach middle school and high school choir. They each meet on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. I'm nervous since I've never taught choir before, and since I'm more of an elementary aged kid person. I want to bless these kids with a good choir experience and know I can only do it with God's help! I found out that I evidently have to choose four kids to take to an honor choir in Budapest in March...it will be more like they are taking me since I have no idea yet how to travel around Europe!

Thanks for reading this and for praying. I'd love to know how I can pray for all of you. We're each praying for two people off of our list of prayer and financial supporters each day, so we'd love to know specifically how we can pray for YOU.

Love you all, and good night!

Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment